History of researches in Camonica Valley
The discovery of rock engravings dates back to 1909, the year when Gualtiero Laeng sent a report form to theComitato Nazionale per la protezione del paesaggio e dei monumenti, Touring Club Italiano, in which he communicated the presence of engravings in the site of Cemmo (Capo di Ponte).
Since that year numerous scholars and researchers got interested in rock engravings. The presence and the spreading of the rock art phenomenon, however, left in the background, at least until 1980, the study of the archaeological contexts (dwellings, necropolis, cult places/sanctuaries), the only things that – along with the study of rock art – would provide us with a global view of Camunian prehistory and protohistory.
As it would be difficult to summarize over 100 years of research in a few lines, those who wish to go into the subject may read the synopsis made for the Piano di Gestione [download pdf 14,9MB] (Management Plan) or view the Bibliografia sull’arte rupestre e sui contesti e ritrovamenti preistorici e protostorici della Valle Camonica, updated to 2005 [download pdf 1,22MB].
In 2009, on occasion of the centenary of the discovery of rock engravings, an exhibit was put together, titled La Valle delle Incisioni. 1909-2009 cento anni di scoperte. 1979-2009 trenta anni con l’Unesco in Valle Camonica (The Valley of Engravings. 1909-2009 one hundred years of discoveries. 1979-2009 thirty years with UNESCO in Camonica Valley), Brescia, Palazzo Martinengo, March 21st – May 10th, 2009 (catalogue of the exhibit edited by Tipografia Camuna).